Wednesday, June 17, 2009

As the Future Catches You


I took a picture of this old Reuters terminal in Scotland last week. For some reason, they have one of the very interesting pieces of nostalgia that to me underlines the importance of innovation, but also defines how innovation is so very different today than it was thirty years ago in the information space. Before my time, but in the memory of my mentors, there were two big problems to solve, both requiring capital. 1) Build the content, 2) Build the connections.

In the last decade, since the internet abolished the second requirement, I have watched my industry converge data and content into a single solution at an astonishing rate while yelling, "Less is more!" the entire way. That game is coming to an end. The next (notice I did not say final) frontier ahead is all about the design, style, approach, technique, elegance of execution and content (yes it still matters) bundled up with the knowledge to make the information you deliver relevant to the world's most sophisticated customers that will make the next company king.

In a nutshell, the winner of the next round will be the company who understands that it is not what you do that matters, it is how you do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment